Slated to open in 2020
Three years ago, in the middle of a harsh winter, Virgin Hotels Chicago opened its doors. On that night, January 15th, we knew we had something exciting to share. From there, we’ve announced Virgin Hotels is going all across the U.S. from The Big Apple all the way to San Fran and down to NOLA. But our latest announcement? Well folks, we’re heading to Edinburgh, Scotland.
This new development marks an important moment in Virgin Hotels’ history and is expected to be joined by more UK and European projects in the coming years.
The hotel will be located in the landmark India Buildings at 1-6 Victoria Street in Edinburgh’s Old Town. The space itself will feature 225 Chambers and Grand Chamber Suites; multiple dining and drinking outlets, including the brand’s flagship space, Commons Club, as well as numerous meeting spaces. In re-envisioning the building the design team will work to preserve its notable elements while adding a sense of style and sophistication. The property will offer a stunning mix of old and new.
“Edinburgh is such an iconic city and we’re thrilled to be able to say it will be the home of the first Virgin Hotel in the UK and across Europe,” said Sir Richard Branson, Founder of the Virgin Group. “My grandparents were from Edinburgh and my wife Joan is also Scottish, so the country has always held a special place in my heart. The people of Edinburgh have been so great in welcoming us to their great city; we can’t wait to open our doors to people across the country and, indeed, the world.”Fun Facts about our new neighborhood:
- Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland. It is located in the Southeastern corner of the country.
- Edinburgh is home to the Scottish Parliament and the seat of the monarchy in Scotland.
- It is the second largest financial center and the seventh most populous in the United Kingdom.
- It is home to national institutions such as the National Museum of Scotland, the National Library of Scotland and the Scottish National Gallery.
- Edinburgh’s Old Town and New Town together are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which has been managed by Edinburgh World Heritage since 1999
Click here to find out where else we’re headed!